Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

Sunshine in NYC!

It is FINALLY sunny and warm in NYC! It has been chilly and gloomy throughout May.

I've said it every year for the past several years... we don't get the extended, brutal, subzero (Fahrenheit) January and February weather of the past -- most likely a result of global warming -- but the cool, yucky weather lasts a lot longer. I've said to friends who also live in NYC (I'm a life-long Manhattanite and have seen many, many New York winters and springs), "we don't have the terrible winters anymore but the cold lasts until May or even June". Everyone to whom I say this, every year over the past decade, has dismissed it, even though they live through and complain about the "new" weather each year.

With escalating real estate, fuel and other prices affecting everything in New York -- quality of life, service, dining out, attitudes (a lot of discussion about this topic but I will leave it for another post/several posts in future), etc. -- and the cold, dark spring weather (something I've hated since I lost almost 150 pounds more than two decades ago) make it harder and harder to justify living in what, arguably, is still, despite its many long-time and newer flaws, one of the greatest cities in the world.

For today, however, even though I've been recuperating from an illness throughout May -- I had an unexpected stay in hospital (for the first time in my life) a couple of weeks ago to battle an infection -- I will definitely take a walk and enjoy the beauty that is Manhattan in the sun. :-)

No comments:

ShareThis