Pages

Friday, May 16, 2008

Kingu Kongu tai Gojira - Great for convalescing!

While at home recuperating, I find myself drifting back and forth between work on projects for my company, Mitra Creative, where I have the concentration, and watching something from my vast collection of DVDs (cinema, music, etc.).

This afternoon's treat was one of my all-time favorites, King Kong vs. Godzilla (キングコング対ゴジラ, Kingu Kongu tai Gojira). I've been a fanatical Godzilla (ゴジラ Gojira) fan since childhood and expanded that love and fascination to almost all aspects of Japanese cinema.

Today was like a return to my childhood on a "sick day" from school. Me at home, eating Progresso chicken noodle soup and watching KK vs. G! Here, via YouTube, is the trailer, featuring Godzilla, King Kong, the direction of Honda Ishiro (本多 猪四郎), the special effects work of pioneer, Tsuburaya Eiji (円谷 英二), and the glorious music -- whatever was left in the U.S. version (they cut a lot of it and replaced it with music from previous U.S. monster films... ick!) -- of the great Ifukube Akira (伊福部 昭):

1 comment:

Flowersaurus said...

Yeah, watching movies while sick at home is a comforting thing. The last time I did that I think I watched the Phantom Menace. I used to do it with kaiju movies too, but once I watched War of the Gargantuas while running a fever, and the ending was just too upsetting and disturbing...

ShareThis