Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Philippine Independence Day Parade NYC 2008

I've had a lifelong fascination with, and have learned a great deal about, Asian and Asian-American culture. I just attended the 2008 Philippine Independence Day Parade and Celebration in NYC. Ironically, with no Filipino heritage whatsoever in my background, I was a member of, and later an officer (!) in the Philippine-American Organization of the City College of New York, C.U.N.Y. when I was an undergraduate student.

The latter fact is very interesting. I had occasion to see a dear friend at today's parade -- who is visiting NYC with his wife and three children -- with whom I attended college, who was the reason I joined the C.C.N.Y. Filipino/a Club. I had not seen my friend Romy in nearly 15 years when his daughter, Chelsea, was first born. Chelsea, now at 15, is a beautiful young woman but was an infant when I last saw her. It is such a fascinating emotional "journey" when one sees friends again after such a long time. I feel very special to know that my friend is alive, well, thriving and has such a lovely family.

(Romy and me, NYC June 2008)

One of the most important aspects of the event for me was the political activism. I'm glad to see people not just being part of corporations (and advertising them), or politicians with their "canned" appearances, but real cultural organizations with voices. Moreover, there were protests for immigrant rights and for rice production/import-export which were profound statements in an otherwise politically-quiet event.

The colors, as usual, were beautiful this year. What I missed, however, was music. There was very little music at today's parade. This was something conspicuously not Filipino for a a Filipino/a event, for there is always music and dancing in any Filipino celebration. Following the parade, however, was a festival which would certainly find many musical performances from local and even international talent. I wished I had been up to attending the festival as well--I'm still recovering from a recent medical incident which tires me more than usual.

Another fact is that, when I was in college and a member of the C.C.N.Y. "P.A.O.", I weighed approximately 300 pounds. I since lost over 150 pounds--okay, okay, give or take 20 depending on my life state at any given moment! Still, I am a dramatically different person physically than I was during my college years. This is an eye-opening revelation for some friends whom I have not seen since my PAO involvement. Others from those now long-ago days who have seen me in years since are somewhat amazed that I've kept my weight off. In my mind, I had no choice--I'm sure it has kept me alive.

With such wonderful yet complex memories of my college years and a beautiful parade on a gorgeous New York afternoon, what a nice way to spend a day! :-)

From YouTube

No comments:

ShareThis