Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Then and Now - Losing 150 pounds

Among my most important life achievements was losing 150lbs. (68kg.) in the 1980s. In my 20s, I weighed 300lbs. (136kg.). People who see photos of me from the time -- such as the one above -- will oft refer to my laughter and seeming happiness. It was actually miserable. No matter what successes, failures and everything in-between that I may have had since, nothing will compare to this triumph over my body--one that probably, in the long run, saved my life.

Weight loss is "no picnic", so to speak! It is not an instant solution for happiness. It does not automatically give you the rewards that you expect. HOWEVER, there is no substitute for the improved mental and physical health that comes with changing your body in a positive way.

Most people ask the inevitable question: "How did you do it?" I did it in the '80s, prior to gastric bypass surgery and all of the other procedures that exist today. It was simply a life change. By "simply", I do not mean to diminish the all-encompassing process that comes with making the decisions and lifestyle modifications which must be made when attempting such a dramatic transformation. I use the word "simply" to indicate that it was, with dogged determination, changing eating and exercise habits. This, of course, is not an option for all. When I answer that inevitable question, I say, "it was a process." The usual reply is "what do you mean?" I always counter-respond with "you have to be ready, emotionally, for the process... it starts with your head and heart." In my observations -- both of my own situation and that of others -- is that excessive weight is most often a symptom of another, very different issue, usually emotional, even physiological... and by physiological I mean that it is more often a "manifestation". I do not mean that I am ignoring those with issues of metabolism and other serious medical conditions who gain or continue to carry weight. I also do not mean to say that everyone is meant to be thin. However, excessive weight is a problem, one that is not just physical, and must be dealt with in one way or another to improve health.

I'm happy I was given the gift of the discernment, more than 20 years ago, to make this change. I continue to fight with the issue. My metabolism, because I was a largely inactive child, is slower than some, and I realize that I must treat my food addiction similarly to those who suffer addictions to drugs, alcohol, etc.--I'm fortunate that I do not have, and have never had, addictions to any other substances. I am now, because of career responsibilities, a recent bout of illness, and other lifestyle issues, battling with gain and loss of approximately 20 pounds. I am now determined, with some exceptions -- you can't maintain weight in the long run by completely avoiding the foods that you like or avoiding social situations wherein you eat food that you probably shouldn't -- to take off about 10 pounds. Back to dogged determination... THANK GOD it never ends!

No comments:

ShareThis