Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Death of Osama Bin-Laden: Reflections from a Great Writer and from Me

A brilliantly-written article by Chris Hedges, who was, "nearly two decades a foreign correspondent for 'The New York Times'," on CommonDreams.org (Hedges,  "made these remarks about Osama bin Laden’s death at a Truthdig fundraising event in Los Angeles on Sunday evening"):

On Osama Bin Laden’s Death | Common Dreams

My own (Karl Ufert's) thoughts about the announcement of the death of Osama Bin-Laden--I posted an abridged version of the following to Facebook last night, after the President spoke:

"My late father, Frank Ufert, survived 9-11--worked for OSHA in 6 World Trade Center, returned to his job after his heart surgery and paralyzing stroke, and was in his office (in his wheelchair) on that fateful day. Thousands were lost, but my dad was saved from being murdered. (Therefore, I have more personal reasons than some to connect to the 9-11 tragedy--though I don't even begin to believe I have emotional equity with the families, other loved ones, friends, colleagues, etc. of those who were killed or are still living with direct, devastating health effects from, the disaster.) Still, Bin Laden's death, and this issue overall, is very complex and requires our careful reflection. Let's not turn "patriotism" into "jingoism."

No comments:

ShareThis